HomeUS News updateBodycam video shows 5 Utah police officers fatally shooting man who initially...

Bodycam video shows 5 Utah police officers fatally shooting man who initially refused to show ID at traffic stop

Police in Utah killed a 25-year-old man during a traffic stop this month after he refused to obey orders and told an officer he had a gun, according to body camera video released Wednesday. It shows.

Video presented to reporters by Farmington Police Chief Eric Johnson — who called the incident “a sad end to what started as an everyday traffic stop” — shows the actions of five officers after an officer pulled Allen over on March 1. Chase reflects on the fatal shooting of Alan. The officers said there was an illegal license plate.

The video was a compilation captured from the five officers’ body cameras and the dashboard camera of the officer who pulled Allen over. This was also interspersed with a brief written summary of what the police had claimed.

A day after the fatal shooting, Farmington police said in a statement that “the driver became non-compliant with the initial officer.”

It was not mentioned in the initial announcement that the officers had shouted “Guns!” And a gun was later found on the floor of Allen’s car, as shown in a recently released video.

The five officers have been placed on administrative leave under department policy while the investigation by the Davis County Critical Incident Protocol Team, which is made up of various investigators, is underway.

Johnson acknowledged Wednesday that the video is “only one piece of information into the incident and the only information available to us at this time.”

Body camera video shows encounter

The encounter happened just after 3:20 p.m. when the officer pulled Allen over for a traffic stop at 145 E. State St. in Farmington, about 17 miles north of Salt Lake City, according to a March 2 release.

The video shows Allen being pulled over in a parking lot after being chased by a police officer. The officer approaches the car, and Allen “immediately asserts his right not to obey the laws of the land, to at least cause this traffic stop,” Johnson told reporters. Police reported that Allen was alone.

When the officer tells Allen that the car lacks a registration, Allen replies that it does not need a registration and will not answer questions, and the first officer calls for backup.

Body camera footage of Chase Allen moments before he was fatally shot by Farmington police
Body camera video taken just before police shot Chase Allen in Farmington, Utah, on March 1.Farmington Police Department

The video shows Allen keeping the window closed for most of the encounter and appears to be recording the conversation on his phone.

The officer repeatedly asks Allen to provide identification, which he initially refuses to do before providing him with a passport listing his name as Chase Allen. He then claims “that’s not me,” and the officer asks him if he has a fake passport before ordering him to exit the vehicle.

A second officer who had arrived as backup threatens to break Alan’s window and eject him if he does not voluntarily exit.

Allen refused to exit the car and warned the officers that they would “have a problem” if they proceeded as before.

He then transfers the phone with which he is recording the event from his right hand to his left hand. The video shows him simultaneously taking off his coat to reveal a holster on his right hip. No gun is visible at that point in the video.

The officer who pulled Alan over opens the car door. Just then, police say, Allen’s hand moves to his right hip, where his holster is. Another officer tries to remove Allen from the car as others stand behind him, and at least one officer begins shouting, “Gun!”

The five officers begin to back away from the car and fire into it. The video shows that when one of them repeatedly shouts, “Cease fire,” they stop shooting.

The officers remove Alan from the car. The video showed the holster on his hip was empty and a gun was lying on the floor just below the driver’s seat.

According to more extensive body camera video provided to NBC News, officers handcuffed Allen when he was unresponsive and confronted him on the sidewalk. According to the video, officers reported a possible head wound and multiple chest wounds. The more extensive video blurs out Allen’s body after the shooting.

The officers did not claim that Allen fired the shot.

Police said emergency medical personnel provided medical assistance at the scene and Allen was pronounced dead at the hospital. The officers were physically unwell.

Family told ‘brutal murder’

Allen’s family called it a “brutal murder” in a statement a day after his death, claiming he was “stonewalled by the police”. He also said he found out about the shooting through local media coverage rather than directly from law enforcement, Salt Lake City’s NBC affiliate KSL reported.

Johnson said police are “working diligently to gather the facts,” KSL reported.

Relatives described Allen as a “loving soul” who graduated from Utah State University and had been studying law for the past few years, adding that he was “a patriot who did what he could to do in his community.” could to protect the freedom and liberty of the people,” KSL reported. ,

Allen is the third person to die in a police shooting in Utah this year, according to a database maintained by the Washington Post.

christian santana Contribution,



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments