HomeUS News updateGulf cartel apologizes after Americans are kidnapped and killed in Mexico

Gulf cartel apologizes after Americans are kidnapped and killed in Mexico


The Gulf Cartel apologized on Thursday after two US citizens were killed during an armed kidnapping in Mexico last week.

In a letter obtained by The Associated Press, the cartel condemned the violence and said it had replaced members who were involved. A senior law enforcement official told NBC News that US officials believe the letter is legitimate.

The translation of the letter read, “The Gulf Cartel Grupo Escorpiones strongly condemns the events of Friday, March 3, which unfortunately resulted in the death of an innocent working mother and the kidnapping of four US citizens, two of whom Died.” “For this reason, we have decided to charge those who are directly responsible for those incidents who at all times acted under their own determination and indiscipline and against the rules under which CDG has always operated Is.”

Four Americans were shot and abducted after driving to Matamoros, Mexico, south of Brownsville, Texas, for a medical procedure. The video appears to show a gunman dragging people into a white pickup, a law enforcement source with knowledge of the matter said earlier.

Tamaulipas state governor Americo Villarreal told a news conference that a woman identified by family as Latavia Washington McGee and a man, Eric Williams, survived the kidnapping.

Both were taken to a clinic for medical treatment and returned to the US by an international bridge between Matamoros and Brownsville.

McGee’s mother said she spoke to her daughter and Williams’ wife said he was shot in the leg but had returned to the US.

More coverage of the deadly Mexico kidnapping

Zalandria Brown of Florence, South Carolina, told The Associated Press that her younger brother Zindel was among the four victims. Maggie’s cousin, Aliyah McLeod, identified another member of the group as Marty Woodard.

McLeod said the group is from South Carolina and was traveling in a rental vehicle with North Carolina license plates when it entered Matamoros. Williams’ wife described the group as childhood friends.

A fifth person was along for the trip from South Carolina. A law enforcement official told NBC News on Wednesday that he passed out just before the passenger group reached the border because the man did not have the documents needed to cross into Mexico.

A fifth man can be seen riding with the group in the video taken by Williams.

A law enforcement official with knowledge of the matter said one of the women in the group was seeking a cosmetic medical procedure. The official said cartel gunmen targeted the group in a case of mistaken identity.

In its letter, the Gulf Cartel said it respected the “life, peace and integrity of the innocent” and apologized to “the society of Matamoros … affected American individuals and families”.

“Furthermore, the CDG asks the community to remain calm as we are determined to ensure that these errors due to indiscipline do not recur. The guilty parties will pay, whoever they are,” the letter read.

A 24-year-old man from Tamaulipas state, identified only as Jose Ann, was “found protecting the victims” and was arrested, Villarreal said. It is not clear what they are accused of.

The State Department issued a “Do Not Travel” to Tamaulipas, noting that organized crime including gun battles, murders and kidnappings are common in northern and Ciudad Victoria.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.


RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments